Canon i-Sensys LBP5050n review - Aimed at small businesses with a modest requirement for colour printing, Canon's latest desktop laser looks to hit the spot for value, with the i-Sensys LBP5050n network model coming in at a shade over £150. Canon also offers a base LBP5050 USB-only model that saves you less than £25, making this network version far better value.
With quoted print speeds of only 8ppm for colour and 12ppm for mono, it's no speed demon but it's a good choice for those that value peace and quiet, with noise levels quoted to be a maximum of only 48DB(A). The cartridges are easily accessible from a drawer that slides out from the front and these are the all-in-one variety that include the toner, drum and cleaning unit.
As with most low cost colour lasers you pay a premium on running costs. The black cartridge lasts for 2,300 pages while the colour cartridge is good for 1,500 pages, which equates to nearly 9p for a colour page and 1.7p for a mono page. Like other printer vendors, Canon engages in the dubious practise of shipping the printer with starter cartridges only good for 800 pages each.
The printer has a single 150-sheet paper tray with no options to increase capacity. A single sheet MFP slot is located above the main tray and the front panel offers a basic set of LED indicators ,showing printer activity, paper status and warnings for cartridge toner levels. There's also a button for cancelling the current print job.
The LBP5050n delivers on its speed promises, completing a 12-page Word document in 60 seconds. It also proved up to the challenge of our 24-page DTP style document with colour charts, graphics and photographs, printing it in just over three minutes. The driver offers a choice of quality settings with Design, Presentation and Photo, none of which affected print speeds.
The LBP5050n impressed with its output quality. Text was clean and sharp text at all usable font sizes and photographs showed plenty of detail
and only suffered from an almost imperceptible banding in areas of a single colour. It handled the PC Pro colour performance chart well, with transitions across complex fades showing virtually no banding, whilst grey shades using equal mixes of C, Y and M toner were reproduced faithfully.
We did, however, find a minor issue that appears to afflict Canon's printer drivers. With the driver set to General, Photo or Presentation, the solid blocks of colour in our test print suffered from a hint of grey. Use the Design setting and the colour springs back to life.
Small offices with the occasional urge for colour printing will find the LBP5050n a worthy candidate. It's short on features but output quality is good, print speeds are on the money and running costs are on par with the competition.
Canon i-Sensys LBP5050n Spec:
- Speed Colour Up to 8ppm Colour Print
- Speed Monochrome Up to 12ppm Mono Print
- First Page 22 Seconds First page
- Product Group Output A4
- Printer Resolution 600 x 600 dpi Print
- Printer Enhanced Resolution 9600 x 600 dpi Print Enhanced
- Warm Up Time 25 Seconds
- Interface Type(s) USB
- USB Port Yes
- USB Ports 1 x USB 2.0
- Memory (Maximum) 16MB RAM
- Operating Systems Supported Windows & Mac Compatible
- Paper Handling Input 1 150 Sheet Input Tray
- Paper Handling Input 2 Single Sheet Multipurpose Tray
- Maximum Paper Size A4
- Paper Handling Standard Output 125 Sheets
- Paper Size A4, A5, A6, B5, Letter, Legal, Custom , (Max.) A4/Legal
- Paper Trays (Standard/Maximum) 1
- Special Media Recycled paper, Heavy Paper, Transparency, Coated Paper, Glossy film, Label, Index card, Envelope
Barcodes & Labels
- Barcode 4960999532233
- Monthly Duty Cycle 25k Pages Per Month
- Mono or Colour Printer Colour
- Technology Laser Printer
- Case Colour White
- Dimensions 40.1cm (W) x 45.2cm (D) x 26.2cm (H) – Weight 18.4kg
- Environmental Operating Temperature 10 to 30C – Humidity 10 to 80%
- Noise Level 48dbA
- Power Consumption Printing/Standby/Sleep Modes 207W / 12W / 5W
- Product Summary Canon i-SENSYS LBP5050 A4 Colour Laser Printer
- Voltage/ Power/ Frequency 220 to 240VAC / 50 to 60Hz
- Printer Languages CAPT (Canon Advanced Printing Technology)
In the Box
- In The Box Canon i-SENSYS, AC Cable (UK),CD/DVD (including Software/ Utilities/ Drivers and User Manuals),Setup Guide, CMYK Toner Cartridge – 800 pages
Cannon i-SENSYS LBP5050n Operating System CompatibilityWindows 10 / Windows 10 (x64) / Windows 8.1 / Windows 8.1 (x64) / Windows 8 / Windows 8 (x64) / Windows 7 / Windows 7 (x64) / Windows Vista / Windows Vista (x64) / Windows XP / Windows 2000 / Windows Me / Mac OS X v10.11 / Mac OS X v10.10 /Mac OS X v10.9 / Mac OS X v10.8 / Mac OS X v10.7 / Mac OS X v10.6 / Mac OS X v10.5 / Linux.
LBP5050/5050N CAPT Printer Driver For [Win 7/8/8.1/10/Vista/XP/Server 2008/Server 2008 R2/Server 2012/Server 2012 R2 [64-bit]= = =>>> Download
LBP5050/5050N CAPT Printer Driver For [Win 7/8/8.1/10/Vista/XP/2000/Server 2008 [32-bit] = = =>>>Download
CAPT Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh [Mac OS: 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10/10.11/10.12]= = =>>> Download
Printer Driver For Mac OS X 10.4/10.5/10.6= = =>>> Download
Canon CAPT Printer Driver For Linux [32-bit & 64-bit]= = =>>> Download
Canon i-SENSYS LBP5050n User Guide= = =>>> Download
Full Driver & Software Package (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP) = = =>>>Download
Full Driver & Software Package (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP)= = =>>> Download
Driver Download or the Installation for Windows Operating System:
How to install the driver for Cannon i-SENSYS LBP5050n:
- First, you need to click the link provided for download, then select the option “Save” or “Save as”. Clicking “Save” is for downloading the file. Meanwhile if you choose “Run” or “Open”, the file downloaded will be automatically installed after the downloading process is completed.
- For your information, the driver file that you download will be saved in a certain folder that you have set before, especially in the self-extracting form or (.exe format).
- The last step is double clicking the downloaded file that has the format EXE file for the decompress process. Then, the installation will be automatically started.
How to uninstall the driver by using Control Panel.Note: The following steps are for Windows 7. The different versions may have the different settings.
- Come to the Start menu, then you need to choose Control panel --> choose the driver and click “Uninstall a Program.”
- Wait until a page is appear with the list of the installed program. Then you need to double click the program that you want to uninstall.
- At last, choose “Yes” and “Ok”. The uninstall process is completed.
Driver Download or Installation process for Mac Operating System:
How to install driver of Cannon i-SENSYS LBP5050n in Mac:
- First, you need the file of the driver. When you have already completed the downloading process, it will be saved in the certain folder. You can see it at the computer settings.
- Second, you need to double click the downloaded driver file and mount it on the Disk Image.
- The third step is that you need to double click again the mounted Disk Image.
- At last, double clicking the packaged driver file. Do not worry, the installation is about to be started automatically.